Bad Reviews – How to Deal with Them Quickly and Effectively

Don't Ignore Bad Customer Reviews

Everyone has an opinion. In our connected online world, voicing that opinion has ignited flame wars all over social media and comments sections. This raging bloodsport of expression is especially true in the world of online reviews. Opinions matter to any business or service provider, since they can have a positive or negative effect on your business. This makes managing these opinions a priority. Now, you're not always going to be able to please every person, all the time, but what you can do is make sure any negativity doesn't influence your audience and leave a stain on your brand. You want to be viewed as someone that cares about your customers and will address concerns as they happen; not contest, argue or hide away from them.

How to Deal with a Negative Review

By following the next three steps and developing your own system for dealing with a negative review, you'll be on the right track.

Make Exceptional Customer Service Your Initiative

Customer service has to be one of your top priorities. If a company is having to deal with a nasty negative review publicly or if they've made the news, chances are it's because they failed to take care of business as soon as the issue first appeared. What usually happens is a customer will reach out to the company with a problem in good faith, and then get ignored. Because of this, they now feel they have no other option than to air their grievances in a public forum or review site. By staying proactive and keeping on top of your own product forums and social media outlets, you'll be able to tackle a problem head on.

Be Professional At All Times

This is especially important because if there’s already a negative air, you don't want to add fuel to that fire. Do not get into online shouting matches with customers. Even if you're right about the issue, it only makes you look bad, and it shows that you didn't care enough about that customer to deal with their issue when it was first brought to your attention. Stay professional, be generous and sincere, and work to resolve the issue swiftly. If you can't regain the confidence and trust of that particular customer, you'll at least ensure you don't lose any more because of them. Since this kind of customer only represents about 1 percent of your customer base, it's not worth the time to fight, and you risk losing the remaining 99 percent doing so.

Encourage Good Reviews

One of the best ways to make a difference is by encouraging and even rewarding positive reviews of your services and products. By being especially active in this area, all the positive word of mouth you create will drown out the occasional negative review. By showing that you care about your customer’s opinion, chances are pretty good that you'll get even more business in the process.You don't have to be a communications guru to deal with a negative review, but you do need to remain persistent, and you must remain professional at all times. With how fast our online connected world moves; it's best to be proactive and engage positively with your customers!  

 
This entry was posted in Blog by Jeff Hopp. Bookmark the permalink.

About Jeff Hopp

Jeff Hopp is mobile marketing specialist located in Denver Colorado who helps businesses leverage cutting edge technology and proven marketing strategies and techniques to increase sales and profitability.

Leave a Reply

By Jeff Hopp